Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Train station mayhem

A few updates and observations from the last few days. First of all, continued kindness and helpfulness from the Chinese people, I will note a few examples later. Favorite t-shirt of the last few days is definitely a green t-shirt with white writing; it started out very well "Save the earth," but then followed underneath with "it's the only planet with chocolate." I am sure I know a few American girls, as well as apparently one Chinese, who agree. And then of course, it's great to walk by a guy dribbling his basketball, trying to look cool, while rocking his shirt which says simply "waffle." Although I have been exposed to the ludicrous English t-shirts in Spain (where they are also very fashionable) I think China takes the cake on frequency of absurdity.

As I had mentioned, I am the proud owner of a second (or third or fourth) hand bicycle. I had a basket installed and even took it for a 5Y ($.73) tune up to the local bike repairman (his shop is a bike pulled trailer). But then, the other day I parked it outside of the academic building where I was teaching to find it gone after class. So, later that day I called Teddy, our all knowing, always helpful advisor. He called security and told me where he thought they had moved it. The tire was locked to the body, so movable, but not rideable. Apparently bikes must be parked in a parking garage or the painted zones. I looked quickly that night, but didn't find it. But, I did not lose faith, and looked yesterday to find it, for some reason it was located in the sixth row, or six rows further the logical place where I would have relocated it, but nonetheless, I happily rode to class today (and parked within the yellow lines).

Yesterday I discovered the first disadvantage of being a foreigner. I went with Teddy to go get some postcards from the post office. To diverge, this is a perfect note of how helpful Teddy is. I asked him where a store is at which I could get postcards. Instead of telling me, he walks over to the campus post office and tells the workers what I need. Back to the story, when we arrive the lady discusses something with Teddy, and he asks me if I have 18Y. Apparently I didn't pay enough for the package I mailed Jane (my sister) for her birthday. I payed what I was told to, but some additional costs came when it was mailed. So, I handed over the money, thinking of the 0.001% chance something like this could ever happen in the US.

***Note: I always complain about long blogs by other people, so feel free to take a break and visit theonion.com for your daily news****

How many strangers have asked for you photo in the last few days? Well, I would answer with three or four. The other day, as David and I were eating in the cafeteria, two girls approached and asked to take their pictures with us. We of course obliged, and I even gave the classic Asian peace sign in a few of the pictures. Not a minute or two later the girls from the table next to us asked to do the same. Of course all the Chinese students have camera phones.

And as for the title of the blog, one of David's students, Jin, who is a very good English speaker, was gracious enough to help me buy some train tickets for next week. Next week is national day, or July 4th for China, so we have the week off. So we initially went downtown to get the tickets to one of two locations, (both mutually accessible by bus). We went there first because it is closer and generally less crowded. No tickets, so I had Jin ask about three other cities near where we are headed (about 8-10 hours away). No tickets. None, I guess I kind of underestimated the busyness of travel during this week (there is only one other holiday like it). I should have gotten the point on Monday, when I went with Steve to see if we could take a trip to Hong Kong (no tickets), so I'll head there another time. (Note, Steve also volunteered his time to meet me at the ticket office and try to buy tickets). But I really didn't think that the demand would be so great for the relatively small cities/towns which we have refocused our efforts towards. So, Jin accompanied me to the train station. She of course could have been doing other things: sleeping, studying, hanging out with friends, etc. But, she was eager to help and likes the English practice (with me, not the ticket vendors). The train station featured 15 lines of maybe 50 or so people. Jin predicted over an hour to get to the window. I said 40 minutes. About 1 hour and 5 minutes later Jin proved to be correct. But tickets we successfully purchased. Standing room only. I don't know what a standing room only train looks like, or how it functions, but this Sunday promises to be an adventure different from any one upon which I have yet embarked.

My classes are still going well, learning what does and does not work and trying to improve so that the students are more active and learning more. I have about half of my students now saying 'what's up' when seeing me around campus instead of 'hello.' And, just like at a Tulsa bar, I had my entire class singing "Friends in Low Places" tonight. They enjoyed listening to American music, and liked singing as a variant on oral English, but apparently I didn't make any Garth Brooks converts. I think they will see the light "When the Thunder Rolls" though.

No comments:

Post a Comment