Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A (not so) Hidden Meaning

The only rule in my oral English classes is 'English only, only English'. All of my students have more than enough English to function in a completely foreign language environment, and the benefits of maintaining a foreign language throughout a class are too numerous to count. So, as a way to ensure this occurs, I take down the names of anyone speaking Chinese in class and then assign them short homework assignments as a result. Personally, I am not a fan of punitive motivation. But, many of the students weren't too convinced by my stressing the importance of not shifting back to Chinese when they struggled with English. I tried last semester not using any punishment, and the results were dismal. Having studied a foreign language in college, I know it's hard not to revert back to one's native language; and know that having a watchful eye or ear can keep students honest. So I have decided that the punishment (short English compositions) isn't too bad. I assign various short stories, poems, or mini-biographies to get them working on creative or research writing (both of which are lacking in their other classes). So, the week before last, I caught one of my female students answering a question from a friend in Chinese. It was only two words, but I tend to think she knows the word 'yes' in English (insert sarcastic tone). So I told her to write a story about a pig and a cow. I know this sounds childish, but I think a very open and basic subject like this allows for a lot of creativity, and if the student isn't creative, is basic enough that he can make a good, simple story. This student is very unassuming, pretty quiet in class, and seems to be like most students in not wanting to stand out at all.

Thus, I was a little shocked and fairly amused when I received the following story the next week. For reference, she had Dave (or Mr. Wacker) as her teacher last semester. The story is titled 'Fight for Love'.
--On the farm, there was a happy pig and a handsome cow. The pig was called Wacker, and the cow was called Ferrell. They two loved the Mickey Mouse at the same time. In order to gain Mickey's love, Wacker and Ferrell decided to have a fight. The winner would get the love of Mickey. They all wanted to be a good husband. So they would cook for Mickey. Wacker was good at cooking food and knowed which food Mickey liked. However, Ferrell never cook any food, then he cooked a very simple meal. Mickey ate the meals. Wacker was proud of his food and thought Mickey is his. But Mickey went to the other side. "I know you try your best to make me happy! I love you" Ferrell was so surprise and then kiss her!--
At the bottom of the paper there was a note 'If you want to travel you can call me: 1555559999' and then the student's name. I will let you make your own interpretation of any 'hidden' meaning in the story. I was quite pleased with the creativity of the story and its continuity. I will say that the adoration from students that this story might convey is, in my opinion, something to be dealt with carefully, but a whole lot better than disrespect or indifference that many teachers receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment