Friday, September 18, 2009

My New Visa

Because I work in China, I have a resident permit. It’s only good for one year, which is no big deal, because the renewal process is much easier than the application. I guess they figured if I was okay to come to the People’s Republic last year they don’t need to check on everything this time. The cool thing about my visa is that under purpose of residence it says 就业 (jiu ye) which roughly means having a job. So, sometimes the people at the airports, train stations, or hotels will make the (wrong) assumption that I’m some hotshot international businessman doing some importing and exporting like Art Vandelay. Usually they ask, I tell them I’m a teacher, and then they aren’t so impressed.

Laura’s visit to Dave and me was awesome and great, but it was a rash decision on her part. So, I had planned to take the last week I was in Changzhou to chill out, catch up on some blogging (instead I’m doing it two months later). But, you have to be in person to apply for the renewal, as they take your picture and require you to sign the documents at the police station. So, Laura’s trip put a kink in the visa renewal process. I wasn’t going to re-book my flight, and really wanted to stay back home until after my current one expired. I really didn’t want to have to fork over $130 to get a tourist visa, so I did my best to plead to Teddy (my boss/advisor) to see what he could do.

As I noted, normally it takes a minimum of five days to get the visa, but is usually six or seven. I didn’t have that sort of time, but Teddy said he would do what he could. So, we went to the police station, took the photo, signed the papers and then Teddy went over and chatted with one of the officials. We then headed around the corner to the city hall, the place that actually issues the visa. Teddy went to the normal counter, then came back, got my stuff and went into an office and talked with someone for a while. He then came back, and said we had to wait for a bit. Not more than fifteen minutes later, someone came down with my visa. I think the whole process, at both offices, took less than an hour. Why did it take so little time? Teddy’s boss, English name Peter, technically my boss, is friends with one of the officials down at city hall. China is a place where a place where truly, if you’re not with them, you’re against them (them being the Party). And, this time, I was with them and it paid off for my benefit. Of course, it’s quite unsettling that the lack of transparency in government affairs like visa issuance exists throughout the entire authoritarian government. Quite unsettling.

No comments:

Post a Comment