Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Jane in China

Well, quick update from the present (the backlogging of the trips to Thailand, Cambodia, and India will commence soon). The blog's been inactive because Jane visited me last week. I misread the itinerary (which was reasonably confusing) so arrived a day early to meet her at the airport, and after frantically searching for her and making multiple announcements, realized I was an idiot and killed a night in Shanghai. The first day of visiting class and walking around campus went pretty well. But, with a headache, cough, and some fever like symptoms-Jane didn't sleep much more than a wink on the overnight train to Beijing. She was a real trooper during the whole trip though. Combine jet lag, sickness, the craziness of tourist crowds, and the pretty different culture in China, and it makes for a very challenging trip. Luckily she made it home in one piece, and I am really stoked to have walked along the Great Wall, walked through the Forbidden City, moved through the crowds on the Bund, and strolled through the Suzhou gardens with my sister. Even though living in China has come to be pretty normal for me; having her here, and the both of us walking along the Great Wall was an experience that I won't soon forget. It's a pretty long way from 90th Court in Clive, IA.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful portrait, Ken. I can not imagine a nicer, more thoughtful and loving description of quality time with your sister. -Eric

    ReplyDelete