Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Iguanas and poor Internet

Soooo, it’s not totally my fault that I haven’t posted an update in so long. It’s mostly my fault though. I did mean to post something on Sunday, but until today (March 11) my internet was woefully slow and often barely working. But, I was able to get that fixed. It’s actually a story with a bit of a twist. Last week I received a call, just a day or two after my internet was installed, from TVCable, the main phone/internet/cable company here. But they were calling to install a phone in my supervisor’s house. I was confused, but told them I wasn’t her, that my installation had already happened. 

Then, last night, I get a call looking for some random person. I have them repeat the name, and realize they are attempting to say the name of another guy that works at the Consulate. I told them I wasn’t him, but that I do work with him, and I offered to give TVCable his phone number. The caller was quite gracious, and said that my name was listed as the contact person for the Consulate’s account. I’m guessing that maybe because I’m the most recent person to have filled out a contract that mine is on the top of the pile. So, I told him that I shouldn’t be listed as the contact, gave him my coworker’s number, and tried to allay his fears that my coworker couldn’t understand Spanish by saying that he could call the office tomorrow (and gave him the number) and that this coworker had an Ecuadorian assistant that could translate. There are certain jobs in the Consulate that don’t really require any foreign language skills, so, I wasn’t sure what my coworker’s level was. While I had the guy on the phone I complained about my poor connection, he analyzed my account, said he thought he knew that the deal was. Tonight my internet is back to normal and the same rep called me back confirming he’d solved the problem. I’m hoping he removed me as the contact. 

Oh, I promise to get to posting more about my house, job, moving here, and some fun anecdotes from talking to 70 or 80 different people a day about why they want to go to America. Eventually that number is supposed to be more like 110-120 people, but I’m told I’ll get faster as I get more experienced. There actually is quite a bit to learn. So for now, here are some pictures of iguanas. There are lots of iguanas in Ecuador. I’m hoping none get trapped in my room like happened in Costa Rica, but, based on how many I’ve seen, it’s certainly a possibility.  

This chubby guy was hanging out at the park across from the cathedral. Which is sometimes called ‘Parque de las iguanas’ but only had 5 or 6 the day I visited with a colleague.

Another resident of "Iguana Park"

 

The other day a colleague of mine hosted a get together with other Returned Peace Corps Volunteers at her house, and we invited 8 or 9 current volunteers to enjoy some beers, bbq pork sandies, potato salad, coleslaw, and apple crumble with ice cream-which was a nice treat for them for sure. We were lounging by the pool when this guy came exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment