Sunday, October 3, 2010

Heading south for the winter

Well, actually this winter, next, and then much of a third. I leave tomorrow to begin serving in/working for the Peace Corps. Note: I prefer to say working for the Peace Corps because my housing, food, and a small stipend are provided-sounds a lot like a job to me. I will be teaching English as a foreign language in Costa Rica. More information on the Peace Corps and Costa Rica is in the super handy and appropriately named 'Related Links' menu on the right. After three months of training, I will be assigned to a location based on my skills/lack of skills assessed during training. I am incredibly excited about the opportunity to spend time in a new part of the world, to meet people from a culture different than mine, to better understand another culture, and most importantly have fun doing it. I feel very lucky that I was placed in a country known for it's natural beauty and work protecting it. I don't yet know what my telephone and Internet situation will be during training or during service. If you would like to contact me, email is by far the best way to do it, if you don't have it, leave me a comment on this blog (preferably after the most recent post).

I will continue to post to this web log (aka blog) a few more posts about my experience teaching English in Changzhou, Jiangsu, China. I spent the summer working, hanging out with friends, getting to know the Des Moines bar scene, and traveling to visit friends in Tulsa, Colorado Springs, and St. Louis. Thus, I didn't spend much time in front of my computer typing up blog posts-but spent lots of time in front of the computer trying to soak up American culture. I hope that posts about China while I'm living in Costa Rica don't get too confusing. I'd like to thank everyone who reads this blog, I hope you find it slightly above bearable. I appreciate any and all comments you would like to leave; especially any spelling or grammatical corrections. I'll do my best to get back and change them. Also note that if you click on the link titled My Photos-Picasa Photo Gallery, you will be able to see all the pictures I have taken in my travels.

I spent the last two years getting paid by an institution run by the Communist Party of China. I'm assuming there will be some differences working for Uncle Sam. I'll keep you posted. With that, I'll next be reaching you via the magic world of ones and zeros from Costa Rica.

Post script: this blog will begin to carry a disclaimer that it expresses my views and not those of the Peace Corps. I fully agree with that statement and the reason I should display it. I think the blog's title makes it clear whose thoughts are being expounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment