Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Front porch visit

If you happen to be Facebook friends with me, you'll know that I've spent plenty of time recently watching the Olympics and checking all the results online. In fact, for the past five days, if I haven't been at school working with students, I've probably been plugged in, treating my case of Olympic fever. Needless to say, I haven't yet organized videos and made a post about my recent trip to Corcovado National Park, nor have I written up any other posts. In the meantime, I'll  announce that I've added even more photos to my Picasa photo albums-link to the right and will share another reminder that I live in the tropics.

The other day, while at my computer working on something, my host dad, home for lunch, called both me and my host mom to come to the front porch. Right in front of the door was a tiny little frog. I think it's some type of poison dart frog, but honestly don't know. It is most definitely the type of frog that you find on any save the rainforest promotional poster. I opened up the door to try to get a picture of him without the screen, and luckily, instead of heading out towards the street, he cornered himself on the porch. Thus, I was able to get some up close shots.

With semi-trucks and punk teenagers with loud motorcycles driving by every day, as well as the fact that most of my street is developed with houses or semi-truck lots, I forget far too easily how close I live to the rainforest. The beetle I posted the other day and this frog are reminders to me of where I live and how, in some ways, different it is from good ol' Clive, IA.

No comments:

Post a Comment