Friday, March 30, 2012

Bike trip Day 4

(the lead crew arrives in Cahuita-Allegra, Eric, Natalia, Katherine, me, Beth)
Different people see getting up early differently. A lot of people think it’s a great thing to do, because then you can go out and take advantage of the day, the sunshine, and all that. I think those people have a pretty good argument. Yet, I've always been in the other crowd, the one that says there's no reason to upset a perfectly good sleep just because the sun's up. Now, if there's lots to do, I'm down with getting up early. On day 4 of the bike trip there was anything but lots to do: an easy, flat, short ride along the coast down to Cahuita. Cahuita is a delightful beach town, with a gorgeous forest (a national park) that comes right down to the beach. I had been lucky to have had been to Cahuita twice before this trip. Not everyone else was in the same boat. So, I wasn't exactly thrilled to be eating breakfast on the curb (kerb for the crazy Brits) outside our hotel in the dark. The ride was as easy as promised and we rolled into Cahuita early enough to grab breakfast before most of the beach bum tourists had even gotten out of bed. 
(the TEFL crew-José (assistant boss) and Allegra (regional advisor) and us volunteers)

Most of the group headed to the beach and walked through the park, taking advantage of a day to rest the muscles and enjoy the beautiful Caribbean Sea. Instead, I took a nap, did some reading, took a walk around town, caught up on some correspondence at an Internet cafe, and  passed the remainder of the day sitting on the porch. We had a most enjoyable group dinner at a your typical Cahuita restaurant-fish tanks, tiki torches, and sand on the floor. Everyone in the group was able to enjoy rice and beans, and I had my Limón favorite-chicken in Caribbean sauce. With another short day the next day-and the border-I allowed myself a few Pilsen's with dinner. Our day 4 trip, seen on the map below, would be the shortest of the trip at just 44 kilometers, but, the day really served as a rest day, and in that sense, was quite a success. 



No comments:

Post a Comment