Friday, March 9, 2012

Panama Days 4 & 5

The primary reason for the trip to Panama was to run in the Panama City Marathon. Now, San José had its marathon the same weekend, so obviously the attraction of visiting a foreign country, and seeing one of man’s most amazing achievements had a lot to do with the decision to go as well. As the marathon was on Sunday, day five of the trip, day four was pretty calm. Now being sure of the schedule, we successfully picked up our packets, hung out at the mall like we were thirteen again, and got some ice cream. Not just any ice cream, but some of the best ice cream I’ve ever had in my life. The spot: Granclement, a small little shop owned by an expat French couple. It’s worth visiting more than once. We then all got together and made dinner. Elena and Katherine had rented a nice vacation apartment to ensure a good night’s sleep before the race, so we all came over and took advantaged of the fact that they had a kitchen and nice dining room table. We enjoyed a delightful dinner of salad, garlic bread, and pasta with homemade sauce-and probably a bit too much wine considering we had an early morning the next day. 

Up, dressed, and in a taxi by 4:15, it was still pitch black when Katherine, Elena and I arrived at the start line. We met up with Chris and Tarah (a couple that lives near me in Sarapiquí) and her parents (visiting and running in the marathon) as well as fellow volunteers Eric S, Liz L, Chris S, Mason H, and Henley P, all running the marathon. Elena, having never run a distance race before, was running her first marathon. It was the first marathon for Chris, Eric, and perhaps Liz and Mason. It was my second, but, considering the disaster/abnormality that was my first marathon (read here), this would be my first regular marathon. At five, we were off, and for the first two hours, it was pretty regular. I didn’t train for the marathon (not recommended) but had been running sporadically, but never too long, so the first two hours weren’t that bad. But, mainly, they weren’t that bad because it was still nice and cool. There were frequent water stations manned by the police academy students (it took me a while, but I eventually figured out why all of the guys giving water were young, fit, and had shaved heads). It was a fairly pleasant morning run.

This all changed at about the time I hit the Tramo Marino, a long bridge that goes over the marshy bay on the east side of the city. We started on the west side of the city, on the Amador Causeway, and we made our way around the Cerro Ancon with some views of some loading stations for the canal, through the heart of the city, over the long bridge, past Panama Viejo, through some fancy neighborhoods on the east side of the city, and then turned around and made our way back. The pleasant morning run turned into a grueling battle against heat and humidity as I made my way onto the bridge, a two kilometer or so stretch of pavement without a hint of shade. It might have been December 4th, but when you’re only 8 degrees above the equator, that doesn’t much matter. It took me five hours and eleven minutes to finish the race, missing my sub five hour goal by 11 minutes, but, then again, I probably should’ve prepared for the race. The bridge was kilometers 13-14, and at the halfway point (21 K), I started to walk at the water and food stations until I finished my banana, orange, or glass of Powerade. I think this really, really helped me. Because, well, even if you’ve trained, running in 95% humidity and 90+ degree heat is pretty tough to do very long. It was hot. Honestly, that’s about all that needs to be said: it was hot. 

Kilometer 42.2
But, hey, I did finish, and with almost an hour to spare before the safety cut off time! Chris H. and Henley P. both took home cash, as they placed in the foreign men category. Liz L and Katherine did the same in the foreign women category. I had a nice chat with a Venezuelan man that works in Panama City for an auto parts manufacturer. We also had a nice chat with some of the Peace Corps Panama volunteers-as there was a group of them that ran in the half marathon. I rolled back into the hostel about the same time most of the partying guests were rallying themselves up for breakfast. Another delicious lunch at Super Gourmet and an afternoon of awkward ambling around Casco Viejo to prevent my legs from becoming concrete was a very delightful way to spend the afternoon. We all got together one that evening to celebrate with delicious pizza from Ay! Carmela and beers graciously provided by the cash winners. Many of the group were catching a bus that night, so they headed to the station, I strolled around Casco Viejo with Henley and Jake (who made the trip but didn’t run), and then headed back and got my stuff ready for the bus ride the next morning. I left Panama City very satisfied with my time there, having thoroughly enjoyed the city, but also with a feeling that there were some much talked about beaches and islands that are worth another trip to Panama.

No comments:

Post a Comment